bmw forums   bmw forums

Go Back   BMW Forums > BMW Roadster Forums > BMW Z3 Roadster Forum

Notices

BMW Z3 Roadster Forum BMW Z3 Roadster Forum

BMW Forum: Cranks but won't start

Old 06-13-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Cranks but won't start

I have a 2002 3.0 Roadster that I store in the winter and charge the battery every month or so when stored. This winter I charged the battery in Jan and went to start last week and had to use jumper cables. Got started and drover for 50 miles and shut off for a few hours, it started again but quit running in 1/4 mile. It would crank but not start, I tried charging the battery again but would take a charge. I replaced the battery and it will crank but not start. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it appears OK. Looking for next steps to find the problem.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 AM

Check if you have spark at the plugs no spark check coils and camshaft sensor
If you have sparks at plugs then check fuel delivery fuel pump to injectors
Get codes read with a code reader report what codes you get back here for further advice
Good investment would be o buy a code reader will save you money first time you use it.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Cranks but won't start

Check codes nothing related to the no start. No power to fuel pump, ran wire direct to fuel pump and the pump works, fuse and fuel pump relay are good. By passed the fuel pump relay and the car started. Have power from DME to the fuel pump relay so I suspect the DME is bad. New DME is $1,500 plus $500 to program it. I don't want to spend the money and find out it was something else, does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:34 PM

I'm looking for a used or rebuilt DME for a 2002 3Liter Z3. Any recommendations on a reliable place to purchase one?
Old 07-31-2017, 02:43 PM

I purchased a rebuilt DME plug and play and worked perfect now the problem is all the lights work except the headlights (high and low beam) and the 4 way flashers don't work. It looks like the fuse for the flashers is #25 and it has power on both sides but I don't have power to the headlight fuses, # 11, #12, #29 or #30. Anyone have any ideas where I should look next?