bmw forums   bmw forums

Go Back   BMW Forums > BMW SUV Forums > BMW X5 Forum

BMW X5 Forum BMW X5 Forum

BMW Forum: Issues with BMW X5 and iPhone 4 connectivity?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Default Issues with BMW X5 and iPhone 4 connectivity?

Hello all,

I have a 2005 X5 with the single Business CD player, as well as complete Bluetooth integration. the BT works perfectly fine with the iPhone (I wish I could play music through Bluetooth directly to the car's audio system, but I guess that's impossible. If you guys know of a way, please let me know!)

What I would love to figure out, however, is how to connect my iPhone to the car. The owner before me had a iPod cable installed already located in the glove compartment, but it seems that the little pins inside the connector won't communicate with the newer iPhone properly. I suspect a 2005 / 2006 iPod Classic should work fine. What is interesting is that for the past three days, my iPhone has actually been playing music through the cable to the speakers! It would only work if I would connect the cable, dismiss the warning box that told me the phone wouldn't charge or function properly, then tilt the phone sideways, and then open the iPod application on the phone. Then, and only then, would the phone play music. If I were to hold the iPhone in the normal upright position, then it would freeze and I'd be forced to close the program.

I already bought a connector adapter from Schosche that was supposed to make the iPhone work, but it only charges the phone and nothing else. What else is odd is that today the iPhone wouldn't play music at all, the car didn't even recognize a unit plugged in to the iPod cable.

Do any of you guys know what I can do to fix this? It obviously worked at some point! I'm sick and tired of having a million CD's in my car, I really don't want to spend $200 on a Dice converter kit. I'd be willing to find a classic iPod though, but there's gotta be some way to get around it.

Web Services by Yahoo!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Have you checked this app out?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM

A really simple and inexpensive solution to your problem is a device called CoolStream Bluetooth Receiver. It is $39.99 available on Amazon and sounds great. It pops right onto the ipod cable in your glovebox. All you have to do is pair your iphone to the CoolStream and you can stream music using the stereo in your car. Then, if you need to charge your phone, just use a traditional type charger that you pop into your lighter or a usb cable if you have a port. Then your phone is right next to you, where you want it, not in the glove box. Check out their website I am loving mine, it works great.