bmw forums   bmw forums

Go Back   BMW Forums > BMW Car Forums > BMW 6-Series Forum

BMW 6-Series Forum BMW M6 and 6-Series Forum

BMW Forum: BMW Corp won't fix Convertible top of M6 under original warranty!!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 AM

Thumbs down BMW Corp won't fix Convertible top of M6 under original warranty!!

I know Lexus was king of Customer Satisfaction (now Lincoln has the title), but Lexus vehicles don't drive like BMW's. Overall, I've owned 6 BMW and meticulously cared for each one as if they were my child. I've always had reasonable care from my BMW dealerships, until today.
Here is a brief history. Since prices have been dropping on the M6, I decided to pick up a 2008 convertible 6 speed. I didn't want an SMG because of the costly repairs that may occur. Plus I enjoy the feel of a manual car. The original warranty was about to expire, so I brought it to my local dealership (I purchase the car at a BMW dealership 500 miles away from where I reside).
They took care of little issues without much trouble, but when it came to the convertible top they told me that I would have to drive the car back to the dealership I purchased the car from to get the top repaired!
Here is the issue with the top: when the top folds down into the trunk boot, the edge piping on both the driver's and passenger's side rub against a metal lip within the storage compartment of the car. One side the roof piping material is gone ( about 1/2") and the other side the same area is soft and weakened. I know it probably is quite expensive to repair the top and BMW feels that if they tell a customer to take it to the selling dealership that is a great distance away, that the customer would possibly give up.
So I called BMW of North America regarding this matter. There is no history of work performed on the piping of the convertible top or the storage area in the trunk; nor has the car been in an accident. It appears to have been manufactured with this defect and over it's low 24k miles the fabric wore off due to constant rubbing against a sharp metal lip.
Perhaps during the manufacturing of the car, the roof didn't touch the metal lip. I understand that convertible tops are not rigid and may alter there folding lines over time; thus I can understand that how this may have occurred. But this should be covered by BMW warranty. I don't think it is right to have a customer drive hours away to get warranty work done. Can you imagine purchasing a BMW on the West Coast and your job moved you to the East Coast and BMW told you that in order for you to have warranty work performed, you need to drive the car across the country back to the dealership of purchase!!
Come on BMW!!! This is why you will NEVER surpass Lexus or Lincoln (yeah, I can't believe it either) in Customer Satisfaction. I've heard that Porsche has very good customer satisfaction ranking; perhaps it's time to change loyalties. I was contemplating this purchase vs a 911 Turbo Cabriolet, but the back seats of a 911 are useless, and I have two little kids.
Sorry for venting, but this type of Service is insulting. I recommend that BMW clearing state in there ads that the Ultimate Driving Machine can only have warranty work performed at the original dealership of purchase. Any lawyers out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	15   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	16